Oxhey Village, which was founded by the first manastic settlers in A.D 790, was rebuilt in 1612, on the property of Walter Blackwell esq of Oxhey Place, and is still used for divine service. It is a small rectangular edifice of brick and stone, situated about midway between Pinner and Bushey stations and half a mile west of the railway, and is about 30 feet long and 14 wide and lighted by six Tudor windows. The princlipe feature of the interior is the rerdos, which occupies the whole of the east end and reaches to the ceiling. It is of Oak, elaborately carved in the upper part and divided into three compartments by two massive twisted columns, with Corinthian capitals supporting frieze, cornice and pediment, the whole being a good example of the early Queen Anne period. The ceiling is also of Oak.
On the south wall is a large monument to Sir James Altham, knighted at Whitehall, 6 January, 1609, and Helen (Saunderson), his third wife. He was Baron of the Exhequer and restorer of the chapel, and died 21st Feburary, 1617. There are kneeling figures of both under a canopy of alabaster, bearing a shield of arms, the judge being portayed in his judical robes; beneath is an inscription and near the monument an inscribed tablet recording the erection of the chapel by Sir James Altham in 1612. One other monument on the north wall was places in 1797, to John Askell Bucknall esq Ob 1796. The chapel was restored about 1690, and again, after long disuse, in 1852, by the Right Hon Thomas Sotheron-Estcourt, MP then owner of Oshey, and in 1897 was further restored by T F Blackwell esq, under the direction of Mr J E K Cutts, architect, five Tudor windows, the lines of which were found, have been replaced, and the stained deal fittings introduced in 1852 have been superseded by teak throughout.
The Rev. Herbert Allen M.A vicar of Oxhey, has been chaplain since 1918. The Parish Hall, built in 1911, was the gift of W. R. Blackwell esq and will seat 400 persons.
At Oxhey Hall is an ancient carved oak ceiling of great beauty, arranged in 16 panels, but somewhat roughly executed. The farm house has been modernized, but the room with the ceiling mentioned still remains intact.
Oxhey Golf Club was established in 1912, has an 18 hole course two miles from Watford, and 475 members. Suscribtion, ten guineas; entrance fee, ten guineas. Secretary, S Jameson.