Oxhey Village Baptist Church was first opened for public worship on 11th September 1911 and had many tests of faith throughout the ensuing years. The first major setback 3 years later when all the young men and boys joined up to fight in the 1914-18 war. Five young men from the church were killed, including 2 of Arthur Ibbott’s sons, their names inscribed on the plaque which was placed in the Memorial Hall built to commemorate their lives. It was opened in 1922, a special fund was set up to pay for it and it was half the size of the church and twice the price!
The plaque from the Memorial Hall was removed for safekeeping by Ian Mackay when the Church was demolished and has now been installed on a Memorial at The Green in Lower Paddock Road where a Service of Re-dedication was held on Sunday 28th September 2014. Later a small plate below the plaque will commemorate the church.
On 9th November residents of Oxhey Village gathered at the Memorial for a short service of Remembrance when a wreath was laid by myself on behalf of the Ibbott family and another, by Ian Mackay, on behalf of the Community. Everyone then processed through Oxhey Village to the Memorial Cross on Watford Heath where the Remembrance service was continued. Thus the two memorials were linked and this is an event which will be repeated every Remembrance Sunday.