Oxhey Village Environmental Group (OVEG) History Sheet No. 11
By Penny Allen-Smith
This article contains the reminiscences of J.W. Hedges, whose family lived briefly in New Bushey between 1894 and 1895. One of the more alarming of the recollections is of how the residents of Grover Road used to “sweep” their copper chimneys with “ha’p’orths” of gunpowder to awesome effect.
Much of the property in the road was owned by Mr Grover, who also owned the local off licence, where a quart of gin or rum could be purchased for 2/6, whiskey for 3/-, and brandy and port for the princely sum of 5/-.
At that time Bushey station had only two platforms, which were paved with old sleepers, and the station was approached through a hole in a brick wall from Pinner Road. Shortly after the first booking office was built, the residents of New Bushey were keen for the name of the station to be changed to Oxhey, but the Bushey villagers felt that they had the better historical claim. In the end the North Western Railway compromised by calling the station Bushey and Oxhey.