Carpenders Park Station 100 years old
Celebrate the anniversary on 1st April 2014
By David Reidy
Keep visiting Our Oxhey to find out how we will be celebrating the anniversary of the station in 2014.
The Station opens
Oxhey Golf Club had opened in May 1912. After representations, the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) opened a new station at Carpenders Park on 1st April 1914.
The wooden halt
This was a simple wooden halt, provided essentially for the needs of the Oxhey Golf Club, whose members came mainly from north London. It also served a few scattered houses. It was sited a few hundred yards [approximately seven minutes] south-east of the clubhouse and was served by certain trains only during golfing hours - and on request.
It consisted of an up and down platform, each 350 feet long, 9 feet wide and 2 feet 9 inches above rail level. The down platform was approached by a flight of steps and pathway from the adjoining golf course. There was a footbridge between the two platforms.
The booking office, waiting room and signal box
A small booking office and waiting room were provided on the down platform, and a small waiting room on the up platform. A signal cabin adjoined the down platform, and distant, home and starting signals were provided for each platform. The signal box contained six working levers and two spaces.