Carpenders Park Station
Services from WWI to WW2
By David Reidy
The New Line 1917
Public electric services were extended over the New Line from Willesden Junction to Watford Junction on 16th April 1917. Carpenders Park station closed on 31st December 1916 as a wartime economy measure. It did not reopen until 5th May 1919 with the post-war build up of services. It was served by certain Bakerloo trains only. LNWR electric trains resumed service from 10th July 1922.
Passengers and fares
In 1923 9,209 passengers used the station. The July 1923 timetable shows a half-hourly service to Euston between 10.14am and 9.14pm. The Sunday service also ran half-hourly between 9.07am and 8.07pm. The single fare to Euston was 2s 9d [13p] [second class] and 1s 8d [7p] [third class]. Direct services to Broad Street were introduced on 10th July 1922, and on the same day a Bakerloo electric train service commenced between Watford Junction and Elephant and Castle. Electric Oerliken multiple-unit trains commenced service in 1925 and were considered to be the most comfortable suburban services in the London area.
The period during which trains called at Carpenders Park, and the proportion of trains which called, had both shown a general increase through the years, and by the summer of 1926 the majority of trains were timed to call during the greater part of the day. However, from September 1926, during the hours the station was open, all trains were advertised to call on request only. Sunday trains were again timed to call from the summer of 1928, the stop remaining conditional on weekdays. From the winter of 1935/36 a full service was provided from Carpenders Park, and its hours of opening were extended to include all but a few early and late journeys.